martes, 2 de marzo de 2010

Planing a review

What kinds of things are reviewed in newspapers andmagazines?
-Usually films, books, concerts, exhibitions...

How much are you influence by a review? Would a good review encourage you to go and see a film? Would a bad review stop you buying a book?
- Well, sometimes a review may influence my choose, but in general, if I want to read a book or watch a certain film that I know I like, I would do it.

Read the review of Edward Simpson's below. Which element is missing?
-I think that, in the review of Edward Simpson, it's missing the background information.


Questions about the review:
I would say that this review is formal, for its register and vocabulary, and its well organised structure. The reviewer uses direct speech because he (or she) wants to explain better the ideas developed with painter's grandpa's word's (Edward's grandpa's words). I think the age of the painter is the more catchful point to get the readers' attention, although the reviewer also uses a description about the situation of Edward and his family with art. The reviewer includes a description of the painting and general comments in the second paragraph, whereas he gives his (or her) own opinion in the third one.

1 comentario:

  1. I disagree.

    I think that the "long line of artist" and all the information about his family is the background information.

    And you don´t know that he is six until the end of the first paragraph, so I think it is not a good point to catch attention.

    Furthermore: If I´m reading a review about a painter and I read that he is six I stop reading. I think it´s some kind of attention vaporizer

    ResponderEliminar